Monday, March 10, 2014

Feeling Better, New Families, and Rain!

One good thing about Peru is there is no Daylight Savings -- ha ha! I'm super glad I didn't have to spring forward. I like my sleep! I am so happy to report that I am just about 100% over my cough and bronchitis now.

Hermana Morales, Sol's mother, and myself

This past week, we had the opportunity to begin teaching lots of new families! Normally, we always try to teach when the fathers are home, but most of the time they're not around or don't stay to listen. However, this week we were so blessed to be able to teach 4 families about the Restoration with the fathers present! The fathers really make all the difference because without them it is so hard for the family to really progress to baptism. The Lord blessed us to be able to come to their homes at the right time and know how to testify to them.

We also had the chance to teach with Hermana Archibald, our Mission President's wife, when she came to our area for one day. I am grateful for the opportunity that we had to learn from her. Even though she can't speak Spanish very well yet, she understands almost everything and knows how to testify about what we teach. She really cares about the investigators and tries to help them feel comfortable with us. She told us that when we taught, she could feel the Spirit, so that makes me feel like I am doing my job. It was fun to be able to see her out in the field with us!

I also tried to speak more in English to help Hermana Morales learn her English faster. She practiced a lot so that she could talk a little bit with Hermana Archibald. It was cool to see them communicate and try to help one another understand. Now, Hermana Morales has the goal to be able to not only understand Hermana Archibald, but also talk with her in English!

It sounds like Spring has come early back home in Utah. Well, this last week, we actually had some RAIN!!!! It almost never rains here in Lima, and so to have 3 different days where it rained (well, sprinkled really) was super cool. The temperature has finally felt pretty good here these last few days because of the clouds blocking the sun and a little bit of wind. The river in our area is super full and fast and it is cool to see it becuase when I arrived here in winter, it was pretty much dry! I am loving the warm-but-not-too-hot weather and I want it to stay this way forever! I don't know how long it will last but maybe this is a sign that it is starting to cool down a bit.

Well, training is over for Hermana Morales, and so now she is 100% ready to be a missionary and train others. She is a great example and I have loved working with her. I am super excited to see the success and miracles that she will have in her mission.

Sol and me. She helps me stay up to date.
No baptisms this last week, but we have two people with a fecha for this Saturday, March 15th. If I get transferred to another area before then, Hermana Morales will have to send me the pics! I saw Sol yesterday for the first time in about 3 weeks! She started school early and then got sick, so she didn't come to church for a couple of weeks and couldn't come proselyting with us. However, she calls us sometimes to give us updates if something happens in the family that is posted on Facebook. Thanks to Sol, I knew that Alex was accepted to BYU the night he got the acceptance letter -- ha ha. I was super happy!

So, I don't know if I've been transfered yet, but we will find out later today. I'm pretty sure that I will be, but who knows? I have 8 months left to be a missionary, and I hope that I can get to know a couple more areas in Peru before I leave. This transfer, we will be getting 5 more sisters, but the mission has now reached it's max with sister missionaries. There will be about 60 sisters in this mission! There just aren't enough safe areas to put any more sisters, so we won't be recieving more than we lose each transfer after this one. Pretty cool that there are so many sisters willing to serve, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment