Friday, May 24, 2013

The Visa Watch Continues, But That's OK


Friday, 5-17-13

Hola!
My aunt and cousin volunteering as Spanish investigators

I saw my aunt and my cousin yesterday! My aunt volunteers at the MTC every Thursday to pose as an investigator and help the missionaries learn Spanish (she speaks Spanish very well). My cousin came along to help (she leaves for her own mission on May 29th), and I couldn't believe I bumped into them on my way to my class. This place is so crowded, it's amazing I saw them. Oh, and by the way, if you're wondering why I'm kinda gross in the pictures, it's because we had gym right after that hour so I didn't really worry about doing my hair beforehand -- haha.
Anyway, some good news! One of the Hermanas in my room got her visa two days ago, and applied for hers in mid January just like I did! So, the visa may be coming any day now. However, I'm really liking it here, so I don't know if I want to leave here anymore! Oh well, I'll go where the Lord wants me to be!

Me and my super awesome companion.
Hermana Lind is awesome! Before coming in to the MTC, I was worried that my companion would be lazy, dirty, or rude, but she is none of those! I love her and the other girls going to Peru. It will be way fun! I hope I get to spend time with them. Especially Hermana Lind as we try to be good Sister Training Leaders! If my visa comes in the next few days, then I won't get to do that! I would hate that! I am really enjoying it here, and I'm even OK with being reassigned to the states for a while. Totally different from when I was at home, right? I guess I just have a little different perspective now.
So, last Tuesday we had a devotional and I got to sing "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" with the choir. Guess who spoke at the devotional?! Elder Russel M. Nelson!! It was so good! I got to sing for him! As soon as he got up to speak, I could totally feel the spirit. He had lots of good things to say. One thing I really liked was that it is better to have character than to be one. He also told us that if we wanted to be more like Christ, and therefore be a better missionary, we need to study His life. He told us to go to the Topical Guide and look up all the scriptures that are listed there. There's 18 pages!!! So, I've started, but it's going to take a while. One other thing Russel M. Nelson said was that my purpose as a missionary can be stated simply: We Follow Christ. Those words have a lot of power. If anyone ever asks me what I'm doing on a mission, I can say that I am following Christ's example.
When I came into the MTC, I was expected they'de at least at least give us a full week before we had to teach in Spanish...boy was I wrong! We got to teach Pepe on day 3! We didn't know how to say anything haha! It was probably really boring for him becuase we were reading from our books the whole time. We finnished teaching him a couple of days ago, and by then we were a little better at not doing everything according to the book. Now Pepe, or Elder Stevenson, is our teacher and it's kinda weird, but I think he will know how to help us be better teachers. Hermana Lind even got me to sing with her during one of our lessons...it was so scary! I guess that's why the Lord wanted me to be her companion...so that she could push me out of my comfort zone a little bit.

Here at the MTC, we don't get to listen to our music, so I am starting to go crazy! I used to listen to music everyday for at least 3 hours, and now none is way sad! On the other hand, now I appreciate singing hymns and hearing special musical numbers. Hermana Lind plays the flute, so we might try to rent a violin and a flute and do a musical number together! That would be super cool!

I have been going crazy learning Spanish! Like I said, they have just thrown us right in. I actually know quite a bit and the gift of tongues has brought a lot to my remembrance. I feel like my English is starting to suffer from all the Spanish being put in! So sorry if my sentences don't always make sense or I start to spell things like they're Spanish -- haha!
I just want you to know that I love you all and that I am working super hard here at the MTC. I am all good, and don't have any complaints :)
Love, Hermana Olsen!

No comments:

Post a Comment