Monday, July 8, 2013

Bienvenido a Peru!

Monday, July 8th, 2013


Christ of the Pacific statue in Lima
Peru is pretty awesome, and I like it lots better than New York! There is more dirt here in Lima, but less garbage littering the streets. It doesn't smell as bad either, and the food is great so far. Sounds like you guys are having a hot summer back home in Utah, but I am nice and cool here in Peru where it is wintertime. While it isn't super cold, I am glad I brought my coat. The humidity is penetrating.

We arrived in Peru around 11:00 PM on Tuesday, July 2nd, so we didn't do much that first night but go to bed. The next morning, we got to eat breakfast at the mission home, and then our mission president, President Archibald, and his wife took us to see the giant 'Christ of the Pacific' statue that stands on a hill here in Lima. The statue itself is over 70 feet tall, but when you add in the pedestal, it is 120 feet tall and pretty amazing. There was also a great view of Lima from the site and we could see that the rich people are really rich and the poor people are really poor, and they live right next to each other without any division. It is crazy!


One of the wealthier areas in Lima with a golf course and tennis courts.

We went to the beach afterwards, and he told us about when Cortez brought his soldiers to South America and he burned their boats to show them that they had no option but to conquer the people. Even though they were vastly outnumbered, they conqered the native people. When Ammon went out among the Lamanites, he told them that he wanted to live with them perhaps for all of the rest of his days. In this same way, we need to be like we have no other way but to throw ourselves into the work and serve the people of Peru as if we will be here for all of our the rest of our days building the church and sharing the Gospel. Sister Archibald had made us each a paper boat and we burned them next to the sea. It was really fun! It was also a very spiritual experience that I will never forget.
Hermana Mangum, me, and Hermana Solis

Later in the afternoon, I met my new companions, Hermana Mangum from Sandy, Utah, and Hermana Solis from Paraguay. Yes, I have been put in a tripanionship again, so I guess I just need to learn from lots of people! My companions are also the first Sister Training Leaders here in Peru and this is their second transfer as STLs. Apparently, I am being trained by some of the best sisters in the mission according to President Archibald. So far, they really are great and we work super hard. Our apartment is actually really nice, and it even has a washing machine! My little sister would love it here because there are dogs EVERYWHERE! Big ones, small ones, fluffy ones, and scruffy ones -- ha ha!

Hermana Mangum with our plastic-covered hot dogs.
Happy 4th of July!
Hooray! I am finally starting to understand when people talk! Spanish is coming and my companions say I speak really well and that I will be able to speak lots soon.

Since they don't celebrate Independence Day on the 4th of July here in Peru (hard to believe I know), me and my companions had our own little 4th of July celebration. Our pensionista cooked us french fries, salad, chicken, and soda. Later that night, we tried to make hot dogs, but it was kind of a disaster because they put a weird plastic covering on the wieners here and we forgot to take the covers off. Nevertheless, we had a great time!

Thank you to everyone for all the letters and packages, and sorry I don't have time to answer all of them individually. Hopefully next P-Day I will be able to share more about my area, my awesome companions, and the wonderful people of Peru.

No comments:

Post a Comment